PHM-Exch> Food for a life-long thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Aug 5 00:49:41 PDT 2013

Human Rights Reader 321

*YES, WE EVENTUALLY ALL HAVE BEGGING RIGHTS, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT IT IS ALL
ABOUT. *(part 1 of 3)

What the adoption of the human rights framework is all about is making sure
that short-term responses do not preclude the chances of identifying and
acting-upon long-term solutions.  The human rights  framework is definitely
used wrongly if it delays policy development or, as is often the case, it
deteriorates into a series of public relations exercises by its proponents.
The ultimate purpose of adopting the human rights framework is to embark in
it with clear objectives and rules of engagement that are task- and
action-oriented, as well as time-bound. That is why accepting the human
rights framework does not allow for a 'pick and choose menu' approach.

We have all seen how the usurpation of the concept of human rights (HR) has
caused it to lose the essence of the social and economic message it is
supposed to convey. There is a thus real danger of losing the long term
transformative wisdom and sense of the HR framework. We cannot but be
watchful. We must also be clear when we speak about HR, i.e., we must
insist on the fact that the HR framework is ultimately intended to bring
about change in the prevailing economic and social discourse.

To read the full Reader, go to

http://wp.me/plAxa-1Iu

Claudio