PHM-Exch> Smokescreens: How Working Kills Smokers (4)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed May 22 22:35:07 PDT 2013

From: Vandana Prasad <chaukhat at yahoo.com>

I would suggest there is surely a balance between social / class
determinants and individual choices, unless one would like to argue that
there is no such thing as the 'agency' of the individual. Certainly not a
notion I would like to accept and a patronising one at that, contradicted
by much anecdote and experience.

It is not neat - this issue of where 'social' stops and 'individual' starts.
I feel the discussion is on mere semantics at this point and it is
difficult to disagree with either author. can we agree to agree?