PHM-Exch> Food for a dignity reclaiming thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed May 8 22:11:00 PDT 2013

* *

*Human Rights Reader 315*

*POVERTY IS A RESULT OF DISEMPOWERMENT AND EXCLUSION. HUMAN RIGHTS
VIOLATIONS ARE BOTH A CAUSE AND A CONSEQUENCE OF POVERTY.*

-The fact that we have so many poor people is sad. But that it always is
the same people is definitely unfair.

-Being poor, you do not complain, you are relegated to a position of
accepting.

>From a human rights point of view, the real problem we face is not only a
concern of unacceptable levels of poverty but, together with it, appalling
and morally objectionable levels of excess affluence. We cannot thus end
poverty without touching the structures of property and of wealth
distribution, i.e., without modifying power relations. I am afraid that
policies that are centered around ‘combating poverty’ only attempt to avoid
the ultimate fear of the haves, namely entering into a to-them-damaging
conflict with the have-nots of this world.

This is why I urge readers to rather use the concept of *disparity
reduction *(instead of speaking of poverty alleviation or poverty
eradication). Doing so rightly contextualizes poverty in the process of
exploitation, of domination and of power imbalances it really is. I also
thus agree with those that speak of poverty being a state of ‘ill-being’
(as opposed to well-being).

To read the full Reader, go to

http://wp.me/plAxa-1Hf

Claudio