PHM-Exch> REGARDING MEXICO's CRUSADE AGAINST HUNGER

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri May 3 01:45:44 PDT 2013

From: Patti Rundall <prundall at babymilkaction.org>

*MEXICO's CRUSADE AGAINST HUNGER
*

In Mexico, El Poder del Consumidor organised a series of excellent meetings
with Senators, Parliamentarians  and the media to raise awareness about
Conflicts of Interest.

IBFAN colleagues were about to congratulate Rosario Robles, Secretary for
Development,  on including breastfeeding protection in the
newly formed Crusade Against Hunger, when we found out about partnership
deals  with Nestlé and Pepsi. These were announced and signed  before
any consultation with  NGOs or scientists.  We later found out more
details:

It seems obvious why corporations would want to own as much of Mexico  as
possible, and why the  Crusade gives them  the perfect philanthropic
cover -  tackling hunger.  There is international concern about this.

We got a lot of excellent coverage so far (a lot in Spanish but  a rather
good piece in the British Medical Journal  and a piece in the Institute for
Agriculture and Trade Policy  in English.

http://info.babymilkaction.org/pressrelease/pressrelease09apr130
http://info.babymilkaction.org/MexicoMedia
http://info.babymilkaction.org/LLLPetitionRobles
http://info.babymilkaction.org/Fennelwater