PHM-Exch> Food for a business-not-as-usual thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Apr 26 19:40:42 PDT 2013

**

* *

*Human Rights Reader 314*

* *

*FOR HUMAN RIGHTS, RETURNING TO PRE-CRISIS STATUS-QUO WILL NOT SUFFICE.*

To a chronic problem we cannot apply crises methods.

The climate, the economic and financial, the food and the fuel prices
crises we have been faced with underscore yet again the need to organize
and mobilize for badly needed social changes -- and also the need to
actually grasp the unprecedented opportunities these crises offer for doing
so.* It is *challenges that make women and men prove themselves*!

*: The collateral damage from these concomitant crises has extended, not
least on human rights (HR) territory. But it has also increased people’s
hostility towards the market economy model….and this is an opportunity.

To prevent a return to business as usual in a move that leads us nowhere,
the roots of all these crises need to be understood by the majority of
people so they understand the nature, the self-interest bias and the
limitations of the elites’ responses to these crises.  These responses
merely contribute to the winners getting the accolades and the losers being
pushed under and into despair.

Not really as a surprise, contemporary macroeconomics does not even deal
with the subject of crises. To crises we respond with relief efforts. But
the human rights-based framework has blurred the traditional distinction
between relief agencies and those active in people’s development.
Jumping-in with short term life-saving aid through quick interventions and
then leaving has now become insincere and disingenuous.

To read the full Reader, go to

http://wp.me/plAxa-1H1

Claudio