PHM-Exch> [PHM NEWS] Be inspired by PHM UK's plan of action!

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Apr 24 07:54:36 PDT 2013

From: PHM Global Secretariat <globalsecretariat at phmovement.org>

Nine months since the UK Health Assembly in Nottingham in July last year
and PHM-UK members are beginning to plan how to build a more diverse,
grassroots and effective platform to build a progressive health movement in
the UK. At our recent meeting, we decided:

*1. To hold a National open meeting in the Summer of 2013*

An event during which we invite individuals, organisations & networks to
showcase our ideas & plans for a UK health movement allowing for feedback &
discussion

*2. To undertake a right to health survey for a manifesto*

We have heard inspiring examples from other country PHM circles including
the Indian PHM example – and believe a similar exercise here in the UK
would facilitate grassroots mobilisation and allow us to build a
progressive, consultative manifesto for our movement-building and
campaigning.

*3. To plan and hold public hearings*

We believe public hearings as a tool to mobilise activism by allowing
public storytelling/narratives to inspire and build enthusiasm for
movement-building.

*4. To gather together again in solidarity with our friends at a People’s
Health Assembly this Autumn 2013*

We intend to begin planning for an annual-follow up the Nottingham Health
Assembly in July 2012 to allow us to continue building momentum for a UK
health movement – and to specifically focus on training attendees with
skills to organise in their communities and build a UK people’s health
charter

*5. Finally, to begin developing a UK people’s health charter*

As the UK General Election looms in 2015 – we believe a manifesto, written
by grassroots consultation will be a powerful tool to represent the ideas,
values and aims of a progressive health movement in the UK, and to advocate
for our aims, values and ideas to policymakers at all levels.

See our website at http://www.phm-uk.org.uk/?p=738       for more details.

--
Global Secretariat
People's Health Movement (PHM)