PHM-Exch> overprescription of drugs

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Apr 24 02:07:59 PDT 2013

From: massimo serventi <ser20 at hotmail.it>

I repeat again and again my mantra: a huge amount of drugs is wasted. At
least 50% of drugs (antibiotics in premature babies, for instance) are
prescribed unnecessarily worldwide, i.e., are literally wasted.
Rich countries can afford this wastage....poor countries NOT.

Poor people are neglected: they are forced to pay for drugs that they do
not need... money that should be allocated to buy food.
Poor countries are forced to pay a huge amount of money to import drugs
manufactured by western pharmaceutical companies: a loss of money, paid to
who are already rich, by poor countries that should spend their little
money for other sectors, like agriculture or education.
Medicine is being vilified more and more. Resistance to antibiotics is a
worldwide super serious worry.

All the above are facts:

The culprits? prescribers/doctors, all those that accept market instead of
medicine...and these are the majority.

Massimo Serventi
Paediatrician
Dodoma