PHM-Exch> Food for a farcical thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Tue Feb 26 20:21:18 PST 2013

Human Rights Reader 309

*IN THE ERA OF GLOBALIZATION, A SOCIETY OF EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES AND OF
RESPECT OF HUMAN RIGHTS HAS BEEN AND CONTINUES TO BE A MIRAGE (OR A FARCE?).
*  (J. Osorio)

For the fulfillment of human rights, the obstacles to be overcome are
actually way beyond what the core of economic globalization, i.e., the free
market, can overcome and offer. This is why, using our solid knowledge of
HR, we need to find the way(s) to penetrate the policy making levels of the
political sphere controlled by the ruling political class, now for too long
championing free market economics.

 For market fundamentalists, the market is a very precious entity; it is
considered ethically valuable for them due to its ‘fundamental virtues’.
But freewheeling, permissive markets have nothing virtuous about them! Look
at what they do to human rights! If nothing else, but in the name of HR, we
thus must draw the inevitably obvious conclusions and tame and regulate
such permissiveness.  We are not helpless before the forces of the market!

For the full Reader go to

http://wp.me/plAxa-1Fi

Claudio