PHM-Exch> Food for a civic driven thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Jan 13 21:20:17 PST 2013

Human Rights Reader 305

*HOW MUCH UNDERDEVELOPMENT CAN GLOBAL SECURITY TOLERATE AND HOW MUCH
POVERTY AND HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS CAN ALLEGEDLY DEMOCRATIC STATES PUT UP
WITH? *(part 1 of 2)

  - Must poor people bind themselves to the minority elite’s terms of what
democracy is --only because it is a cliché made ‘acceptable’ to the
majority and ‘intelligible’ to everyone? (R. Castellanos)

*The power of numbers (the many)*

It is time to do away with the pretense that current development work
‘respects the local culture’ and ‘is not importing foreign models’.
Instead, we should, once and for all, agree that it is people who must
democratically decide by themselves what they see as the way forward in a
development model that respects their human rights. Some call this 'civic
driven change’.

We cannot but gear our efforts towards establishing and supporting
democracies that serve traditionally marginalized people better and that
empower them by making their voices count first and foremost as active
claimants and not be relegated to second order bystanders.

For the full text of the Reader go to
http://wp.me/plAxa-1Ex

Claudio