PHM-Exch> Financing Global Health 2011: Continued Growth as MDG Deadline Approaches

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Dec 14 01:27:34 PST 2012

From: Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC) <ruglucia at paho.org>
crossposted from : EQUIDAD at listserv.paho.org

** ** ** **

*Financing Global Health 2011:
Continued Growth as MDG Deadline Approaches

******Seattle****, WA****: IHME - Institute for Health Metrics and
Evaluation

*

* *

Available online at: http://bit.ly/12cgnL1

****

“…..Financing Global Health 2011: Continued Growth as MDG Deadline
Approaches offers a comprehensive view of trends in public and private
financing of health assistance with preliminary estimates for health
financing in the most recent years. It shows that development assistance
for health (DAH) continues to rise, albeit at a slower rate than before the
recession. This is the third annual publication on global health financing
published by IHME.

****

The research also demonstrates continued strong growth in country
expenditure on health, as well as the ongoing effects of DAH on spending
for health by governments. The findings were published simultaneously in
Health Affairs on December 14, 2011.

****

With the deadline for the Millennium Development Goals approaching in 2015,
policymakers will need to carefully assess the trends in resource flows to
decide where and how spending can have the maximum impact on population
health.

****

To update our estimates from previous years, we generated preliminary
estimates for 2010 and 2011 from models and preliminary financial
statements obtained directly from channels of assistance. We improved our
estimates of DAH flowing through US-based non-governmental organizations by
collecting additional health expenditure data.

****

For our analysis of DAH for different health issues, we improved the
accuracy of our estimates by incorporating more data about projects’
intended purposes from the World Bank. …”

****

** **

*Report Content

*

Report Overview

*PART ONE: DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANCE FOR HEALTH*****

Chapter 1: Tracking development assistance for health ****

Chapter 2: Distribution of development assistance for health

*PART TWO: GOVERNMENT HEALTH EXPENDITURE*****

Chapter 3: Spending on health by developing country government ****

Chapter 4: Impact of development assistance for health on country
government spending ****

Conclusion and references

****

Statistical Annex
Methods Annex ****

Full report high resolution (23MB pdf)****

Full report medium resolution (13MB pdf)

****