PHM-Exch> A time of mourning for PHM - Andrew Chetley dies in the UK

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Oct 22 17:39:07 PDT 2012

*From:* Martin Drewry [mailto:m.drewry at healthpovertyaction.org]

Dear all,****

 ****

I am so sorry to have to share this with you.  ****

 ****

I have received a message from Andrew’s wife, Ana, with the news that he
died yesterday afternoon (Wednesday), at St Elizabeth Hospice in Ipswich.***
*

 ****

Ana asked if we can please tell other people who knew and respected Andrew.*
***

 ****

I know this comes as a shock to us as well as a deep sadness.

 ****

Andrew is someone we will remember.   The level of sadness we feel says
much about him – both as a human being, and as someone who dedicated so
much of his life to working on the side of the poor and marginalised.

 ****

Andrew had such a quiet humility, yet he also had tremendous strength,
values, wisdom and compassion – as well as a range of excellent skills that
were of outstanding value to the poor and to those around him, and were so
often focused on enabling others.  He was (and is) an inspiration in the
best of ways.****

 ****

Andrew will be missed beyond words, and remembered with tremendous respect
and affection by those who knew him.  We all wish his family and those
close to him, thinking especially of Ana and his children, all the strength
and love they will need right now and in the times ahead.

He was one of the persons closely involved in the birth of PHM and then one
of its fund raisers and evaluators.

When we remember him, let his memory inspire us to find renewed strength
and energy for our work for social justice.  He knew how much it matters –
and in that way his own contribution will continue to bear fruit through us.
****

 ****
Martin

 ****