PHM-Exch> India: Don't alter drug price, Supreme Court tells Central government

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Thu Oct 4 18:08:07 PDT 2012

From: Gopal Dabade <drdabade at gmail.com>

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/282718/dont-alter-drug-price-sc.html

*Don’t alter drug price, SC tells Central Government
*

Deccan Herald, New Delhi, Oct 3, 2012, DHNS:

Court raps govt for causing undue suffering to common man

*The Supreme Court on Wednesday asked the Central Government not to alter
the pricing structure of drugs while placing as many as 348 drugs on the
National List of Essential Medicine (NLEM).*

A bench of Justices also expressed their displeasure over the delay by the
government in this regard.

“We are certainly concerned. Nine years have passed since the petition was
filed. It is engaging the attention (of the government) only when we said
that an order will be passed. Court cannot run the government. But at
times, we are forced to step in,” the bench said.

The bench, however, asked him to read the order passed on September 11
where it was stated that the court would itself pass the direction if no
decision was taken.

The court also asked, so far “Five expert groups have been constituted on
the subject. How long people should go on like this”