PHM-Exch> Food for a more influential thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sat Jul 21 15:13:32 PDT 2012

 Human Rights Reader 293*

MANY PEOPLE IN DEVELOPMENT AGENCIES STILL DO NOT REALLY CARE ABOUT ADOPTING
THE HUMAN RIGHTS FRAMEWORK. THEY ‘FEAR’ IT WILL LEAD TO A POLITIZATION OF
THE HEALTH AND DEVELOPMENT DISCOURSE…*

It is easy to be a revolutionary at 20, but difficult to be one for 20
years.

 The word politization draws many fears; you and I know that. But are there
any rational grounds for it?

Bottom line here is: Why do so many of our peers look down on people like
many of us who take-on a political compromise in our work?

 For better or for worse, in a way, politics is a branch of economics. By
extension, politics is about the political-economy-drivers-of-social
change. It is this that makes politics so relevant for human rights (HR).

For the full Reader, go to

http://wp.me/plAxa-1BH

Claudio