PHM-Exch> REGIONAL STATEMENT – EASTERN & SOUTHERN AFRICA

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Jul 15 23:22:23 PDT 2012

 *REGIONAL STATEMENT – EASTERN & SOUTHERN AFRICA*

*PEOPLE’S HEALTH ASSEMBLY 3*

*CAPE TOWN*

*11 JULY 2012*

 For us the country circle is fundamental and our starting point would be
to identify IPHU Alumni in the country. These IPHU alumni need to identify
an issue and seek allies who identify with the issue and go to the region
to ask for support. The region needs to support with guidelines and connect
them with expertise globally.

We have established four working country circles that have lessons we can
learn from. We need to develop the embryonic circles in the region through
the outreach. This can be done by developing a manual based on the lessons
from countries (case studies from Zimbabwe, Ghana Kenya etc) consisting of
principles such as:

   -

   We need a rallying point that is centred around the right to health
   (RTH) and this can take different forms in different countries
   -

   A cross-cutting issue which brings us together and helps us form
   regional alliances.
   -

   Involvement in on-going national and regional processes within the
   region i.e. Regional Network of Equity of Health in east and southern
   Africa (EQUINET), Social Forum, Southern and East Africa Parliamentary
   Committees of Health (SEAPACOH)
   -

   Linking and Learning between established and upcoming country circles
   -

   Utilising a regional mailing list for networking and supporting emerging
   circles
   -

   Tapping into existing networks that share PHM values and principles
   -

   Regional committee that coordinates regional processes

Motivate the Global Steering Council to develop a global project proposal
that can support the regional office with travel money and resources to
strengthen country circles.

“*At least by this time next year we would want 3 functional country
circles to be developed”*