PHM-Exch> UK PHA Statement

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Jul 13 02:47:07 PDT 2012

From: Mccoy, David <d.mccoy at ucl.ac.uk>

*Statement on behalf of the People’s Health Assembly in Nottingham July,
2012
*
Our gathering

We, as signatories of this statement, express our protest at the current
economic, social & political world order. We
stand in solidarity with a global assembly of the People’s Health Movement
in Cape Town and share their energy &
vision for a better future. We convey our outrage at the remaining
inequalities both within and between countries
despite previous commitments at the global, national and local levels. We
express our support for the People’s Charter
for Health and reinforce health as a fundamental human right.

Our assembly

We have heard:
How common definitions of health neglect the social model which
conceptualises health through the conditions in
which we live, connect, work & learn.
How the financial crisis, conflict, climate change & reforms to our public
services are impacting on health & social
inequality
Of the need for popular engagement & creative actions to express our
protest to concentration of power in the
hands of the few
How community organising through relationships & institutions should
reinforce our advocacy using values to
motivate others
The ways in which corporate interests impact on policy & on our health and
corrupt democracy

Our vision

We reaffirm the vision outlined in the People’s Charter of 2000, that:

Equity, ecologically‐sustainable development and peace are at the heart of
our vision of a better world ‐ a
world in which a healthy life for all is a reality; a world that respects,
appreciates and celebrates all life and
diversity; a world that enables the flowering of people's talents and
abilities to enrich each other; a world in
which people's voices guide the decisions that shape our lives. There are
more than enough resources to
achieve this vision.

We believe that a new economic, political & social order is essential and
possible through the message of health for all.

Our commitments

We commit to continuing our conversations about reclaiming the systems
which impact on our health & to
communicating an alternative vision of health for all through new
discourses & struggle.

We pledge to organise locally connect globally. We further pledge:-

1) To collectively develop a manifesto for health with networks already
active in the field of health & social justice

2) In recognition of the need for strong & broad-based local networks to
return to our communities and build a
movement from the bottom-up through community organising & engagement

3) Come together again in solidarity by January 2013 with friends,
organisations & networks in health to develop our
people’s movement for health.