PHM-Exch> Call for participation - PHA3 Extractive Industries Workshop

Alex Luger alex.luger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 12:04:21 PDT 2012

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Greetings from PHM–US. In anticipation of the PHA3 in Cape Town, we
are organizing a workshop to discuss the health effects of extractive
industry practices, such as the removal and processing of gold and
oil.

We would like to invite the participation of PHM members interested in
environmental justice and the responsible use of our natural
resources.

If you will be in Cape Town for the PHA3, please consider
participating in this workshop, and feel free to extend this
invitation to other interested parties.

Workshop Summary

“Challenging extractive industries:  a call to action on people’s
health and environmental justice”

>From direct occupational exposures to the contamination of community
water sources, technologies used in the extraction and processing of
gold and oil have far-reaching health impacts, with a disproportionate
burden falling on marginalized groups. We invite PHM activists
organizing around extractive and refinement industries to share their
experiences and their efforts toward limiting destructive practices.
We hope this will be an opportunity to collaborate and build
international partnerships among people working for environmental
justice.

In health and solidarity,
Alex Luger