PHM-Exch> UN Secretary General launches Zero Hunger Challenge

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Jun 25 13:38:05 PDT 2012

So now all problems are solved?
Claudio

*The UN Secretary General’s Zero Hunger Challenge
Briefing Note June 8th 2012 V10.3
*
I have made food and nutrition security one of my top priorities.
I challenge all of you to join me in working for a future with zero hunger.
Within my lifetime, I want to see…
 Every man, woman and child enjoy their right to adequate food;
 Food systems that are sustainable and resilient;
 Increasing support to family farming;
 Reductions in poverty, through agriculture and rural development;
 Good nutrition especially from the start of pregnancy to age two.

Eliminating hunger will contribute to peace and stability all over the
world.

My objectives are:
1. 100% access to adequate food all year round
2. Zero stunted children under 2 years
3. All food systems are sustainable
4. 100% growth in smallholder productivity and income
5. Zero loss or waste of food

I have been inspired by the bold leadership of governments, civil society,
business and scientists in several parts of the world, working together to
end hunger and poverty among their people. I encourage them to intensify
their efforts to implement the right policies, ensure effective investments
and increase development cooperation. I encourage others to come on board.

Let us build on international agreements and be mutually accountable for
our efforts.
This is a challenge to all partners, not a proposal for a new development
goal.
Here is the kind of progress that I envisage:

*100% access to adequate food all year round
* Enabling all people to access the food they need at all times through
nutrition-sensitive agriculture and food systems, marketing, employment,
social protection, targeted safety nets and food assistance; through open,
fair and well-functioning markets and trade policies at local, regional and
international level, preventing excessive food price volatility.

*Zero stunted children under 2 years
* Ensuring universal access to nutritious food and micronutrients in the
1000 day window of opportunity between the start of pregnancy and a child’s
second birthday, supported by nutrition-sensitive health care, water,
sanitation, education and specific nutrition interventions, coupled with
initiatives that enable empowerment of women.

*All food systems are sustainable
* Ensuring that all farmers, agribusinesses, cooperatives, governments and
civil society establish standards for sustainability; verifying their
practices and being accountable for them; rewarding sustainable practices;
encouraging universal adoption of sustainable and climate-smart agriculture
practices; pursuing cross-sectoral policy coherence (encompassing energy,
land use, water and climate); encouraging responsible governance of land,
fisheries and forests.

*100% growth in smallholder productivity and income
* Reducing rural poverty and improving wellbeing through encouraging
decent work, improving land tenure and increasing smallholders’ income;
empowering farmers, fishers and pastoralists especially women, young
people, farmer organizations and their communities; making sure that all
investments in agriculture and value chains are responsible and
accountable; developing multidimensional indicators for the productivity,
resilience and wellbeing of smallholders.

*Zero loss or waste of food
* Minimizing food losses during storage and transport, and waste of food
by retailers and consumers; empowering consumer choice through appropriate
labeling; commitments by producers, retailers and consumers; achieving
progress through financial incentives, collective pledges, locally-relevant
technologies and changed behavior.