PHM-Exch> WIPO: Patents & Public Health (2)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Thu May 17 13:29:57 PDT 2012

   From:    ubuntupunk at gmail.com

Having read the South African proposal and the sign-on letter, I must admit
some dismay seeing the pro-Trips (i.e.TRADE & TARIFFS) rhetoric and soft
position being taken by my compatriots.

Surely the issue is not simply one of 'flexibility and safeguards' in terms
of Trips, but rather the right to health in terms of Alma Ata, the UN
Universal *Declaration* of Human *Rights* which also mentions *health, and
our own constitutional guarantees in terms of South Africa's Bill of Rights
in particular Articles 12, 24 and 27 all of which mention health in one
form or another?*
*
*
*I raised the issue of health patents, specifically with regards to medical
devices and technology at a recent talk given by our Deputy Min of Health,
Pillay and he seemed to be open to notion that we need to end once and for
all the patent regime which restricts access to medicines and medical
technology to those who can afford it, ie the wealthy.*
*
*
*I am not at all persuaded by the arguments presented by the Pro-Patent
lobby who say that patents drive innovation since there are many examples
particularly in the world of technology where this is not the case.
Consequently I wish to suggest that this issue is debated further within
the broad health movement before endorsing any letter which "signs-on" to
TRIPS.*
*
*

David Lewis