PHM-Exch> MINUTES OF PHM LAGOS MEETING TOWARDS MOBILIZING FOR PHA IN CAPE TOWN SOUTH AFRICA

Laura Turiano phm at turiano.org
Sat Mar 3 10:58:11 PST 2012

Mrs. Okoro,

Congratulations on the PHM Nigeria meeting and I look forward to meeting the
Nigeria delegation in Cape Town and to your event.

One response I have to your notes, from our perspective in the United
States, is that health is not a right in the here. There are so many
problems with our health system that, in general, it is better to use it as
an example of  ³global WORST practices². One of the messages our delegation
will have at the PHA is that other countries should think critically about
what United States government agencies, funders, and NGOs, such as USAID and
the Gates Foundation, promote for their health systems. You don¹t want to
end up with a health system like ours. We would be happy to communicate
further with you about this if it would be helpful. Feel free to contact me
individually.

In solidarity,

Laura

Laura Turiano, MS, PA