PHM-Exch> Statement from the Indigenous Forum at the World Intellectual Property Organization

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Feb 22 20:40:34 PST 2012

From: David Legge <D.Legge at latrobe.edu.au>

http://indigenouspeoplesissues.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14047:international-final-statement-of-the-international-indigenous-forum-at-wipo-igc-20&catid=34:indigenous-peoples-general&Itemid=73

FINAL STATEMENT OF THE INTERNATIONAL INDIGENOUS FORUM AT WIPO

WORLD INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ORGANISATION
Intergovernmental Committee on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources,
Traditional Knowledge and Folklore
Twentieth Session
Geneva, February 14 to 22, 2012

We, the Indigenous Peoples and Nations present at the International
Indigenous Forum during WIPO IGC 20, have evaluated our participation in
all of the proceedings of this Committee, and we note with concern the
continued reduction of the amount and level of our participation in this
process.

We Indigenous Peoples have participated as experts in the IGC sessions, we
have worked in good faith, and we have made efforts over the years to
submit to the IGC sessions our collectively developed and sound proposals,
which have been ignored or left in brackets in negotiation texts.

The IGC, in its overall procedures, has systematically ignored our rights,
as Indigenous Peoples and as Nations with internationally recognized
collective rights, to self-determination and full and equitable
participation at all levels.

The draft study of the Secretariat on the participation of observers before
the IGC does not contain modifications proposed by the Indigenous Peoples
to WIPO's rules of procedure. The States have obligations under their
constitutions that have not been observed in the IGC, nor have they
submitted proposals that could resolve the existing deficiencies in order
to improve our participation.

Distinguished delegates: we, the Indigenous Peoples, are the titleholders,
proprietors and ancestral owners of traditional knowledge that is
inalienable, nonforfeitable and inherent to the genetic resources that we
have conserved and utilized in a sustainable manner within our territories.
 For this reason, we appeal to the States to acknowledge that the
discussion on intellectual property rights and genetic resources should
include Indigenous Peoples on equal terms with the States since the work
will directly impact our lives, our lands, our territories and resources,
and will reach to the very heart of our cultures, which are the inheritance
of future generations.

Therefore, the Indigenous Peoples present at IGC 20 have reflected
seriously on our role in this process and have decided, unanimously, to
withdraw our active participation in the work developed by this Committee
until the States change the rules of procedure to permit our full and
equitable participation at all levels of the IGC and until the instruments
recognize and are consistent with the existing international frameworks for
the rights and interests of Indigenous Peoples within the scope of the IGC.

Thank you, Mr. Chairman.

February 21, 2012