PHM-Exch> Equity in an inequitable world

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Tue Feb 14 21:17:11 PST 2012

*  February blog
*

*  *Claudio Schuftan

*                           EQUITY IN AN INEQUITABLE WORLD: *

   A TALE ABOUT ETHICS, CHARITY, POLITICS, AND RIGHTS.

* *

I often ask myself what we could all do or do better to achieve greater
equity, given that we most often work in countries with appalling social
inequities. I guess that you do, too.

**
Here is how I see things. I believe that our role in helping to put in
place the needed social processes and mechanisms that will drive
sustainable policies in health and nutrition, is inseparable from a will
and intent to change the underlying structural inequalities. We can realise
and grasp this will and carry out this intention coming from either of two
ideological positions: One is ethical, the other is political. I see the
challenge for us being to graduate from the first to the second approach.

The full blog can be read at

http://wp.me/plAxa-1yh

Claudio