PHM-Exch> Statement by PHM at WHO Executive Board meeting on NCDs

amit sen amit37064 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 03:14:15 PST 2012

Thank you, Chair, for the opportunity to
address the distinguished members of the WHO EB on behalf of Medicus Mundi International
and the People’s Health Movement.

It needs to be said: instead of the promised
action-oriented outcome document, the declaration coming out of the UN HLM on
NCDs is infused with elusive and vague terms, lacking clear and measurable
targets and relying on untested, voluntary solutions over binding regulations. We
would like to highlight the following regarding the follow-up of this meeting
(EB130/6):

Concerning the comprehensive monitoring framework and set of voluntary
targets, we believe this framework should be broad and flexible, so that it can
be changed according to country needs. We call for the inclusion of civil
society in the process of setting targets, at the national, regional and global
level. The many statements made here prove our engagement.

We emphasize that, to reach any target, Member
States will need to scale-up funding. We urge to increase existing envelopes
rather than to shift resources from one field to another and to use innovative
and progressive taxation mechanisms.
As for strengthening multisectoral action;
we welcome the review of existing partnerships proposed by the Secretariat. We
strongly prefer multisectoral action over multistakeholder involvement. We want
strong leadership by WHO and governments to defend the right to health. We urge
you to regulate and hold accountable those sectors in your
own government and those players in the health arena that are damaging health. We
fully support India’s
request to develop a global framework for alcohol control in this regard. We
hope the reform will result in a strong policy on conflict of interest that can
be applied where it is urgently needed.

Finally, concerning the updated 2013-2018
Action Plan, we urge it to be a framework guiding countries in adopting a
health-in-all-policies-approach, addressing the social, economical and
structural determinants of health. This will increase synergies with other
global challenges such as food insecurity and climate change. The control of
NCDs should be focus on health systems strengthening for chronic conditions
overall using a patient-centered, PHC approach. We highlight the importance of
social protection and access to medicines and health services. We welcome the
mentioning of the TRIPS-flexibilities in the political declaration in this
regard and urge them to be implemented.

Thank you chair.