PHM-Exch> PHM Statement at Executive Board Meeting of WHO in Geneva on Evaluation and Financing of WHO

amit sen amit37064 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 00:34:52 PST 2012

Thank you, Chair, for the
opportunity to address the distinguished Members of the WHO Executive Board on
behalf of Medicus Mundi International and the People's Health Movement.

Correct diagnosis leads to the
right prescription. Therefore an independent evaluation of WHO is utmost
important and essential to inform and guide Member States as regards the
direction of reform. However, we note that the evaluation is delayed which
risks the reform process will not be adequately informed. We call upon Member
States to await the recommendations of the independent evaluation, before
agreeing on the precise trajectory of reforms, and to broaden its scope and
follow the advise of the UN joint inspection unit, contained in document EB
130/5 Add.9.

Regarding document EB 130/5 Add.
5, while it reveals the problem of earmarked funding and a lack of flexible
funding, there is no concrete proposal to change the current situation apart
from the setting up of the only tangible objective of increasing the
predictability of funding by 20% from the current 50% to 70%.

It is imperative that Member
States work to build sustainable financial mechanisms that ensure adequate
untied funding of WHO, and it is imperative to guarantee the independence,
integrity and public trust in the organisation. This implies creating mechanisms
not merely relying on voluntary contributions, but also based on financial
obligations as stipulated in article 7 of the Constitution.

These obligations should include
an increase in assessed contributions and the conversion from specified  into flexible voluntary contributions for
which donors should be fully accountable for.

Finally, we would like to stress
that the proposed pledging conference should not result in undermining of
programmes and priorities, by allowing donors to pick and choose elements of different
programmes. We call for the development of clear safeguards, transparency and accountability
policies to protect WHO against conflicts of interest and undue influence while
receiving funds from non-state entities.  We call upon Member States to place such safeguards as part of the
resource mobilisation plan contained in document EB 130/5 Add 5.