PHM-Exch> THE SCALING UP NUTRITION INITIATIVE (SUN): Can it really put nutrition at the centre of development?

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Thu Jan 19 20:43:42 PST 2012

*  January blog
*

*  *Claudio Schuftan

I have to admit my columns are not always calming.

  *                             SCALING UP NUTRITION (SUN)*

     LET US HOPE THAT THE SUN INITIATIVE CAN REALLY

       PUT NUTRITION AT THE CENTRE OF DEVELOPMENT

I here ask questions and make comments about the rather big SUN (Scaling Up
Nutrition) worldwide initiative endorsed by the World Bank and the
pertinent UN agencies plus some international NGOs.
I consider myself a nutrition activist. As such, I try to have my practical
experience influence my theory. Our engagement in nutrition work should
lead to a praxis in which profession, empathy, concern and political
solidarity become one and the same. Without these bearings I fear that we
will just go in circles. I fear that the SUN initiative does not – at least
yet – have these bearings. In any case, we need to discuss it, as between
colleagues and friends. Here, I call for us to build up our capacities as
nutrition activists to motivate others to be equally constructively
critical.

                    THOSE WHO HAVE THE POWER ARE

                NOT THOSE WHO HAVE THE PROBLEMS

* *

I here below proceed to ask some general questions, and also some questions
addressed to the leaders of the SUN initiative. I hope this will generate a
dialogue.

 To read the full blog go to

http://wp.me/plAxa-1xK

Claudio