PHM-Exch> Food for a neglected yet needed thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Jan 13 19:02:29 PST 2012

Human Rights Reader 280

*HUMAN RIGHTS-PROOFING DEVELOPMENT PLANS*.

-Good economic times are especially conducive to the illusion that bad
times will never return.  (A. Dixit)

-There is a long, long tradition of development professionals offering
development recipes that do not work. Not being facetious, in ongoing
development work, the main cause of the problems encountered is the
solutions so far applied; wouldn’t you agree? Remember: Neither charity nor
a romantic sense of ‘social responsibility’ are sustainable.

We have a tremendous underutilized accumulated knowledge on the past and
ongoing ‘development processes’ that, for the most part, have been human
rights-blind. Allow me just  four examples......

But to HR-proof development plans, we also know what we need-to and are-not
doing. Allow me just six examples here.....

To access t full Reader, go to

http://wp.me/plAxa-1xE

Claudio