PHM-Exch> Nutrition and sustainable development WITH LINK

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Jan 11 07:32:15 PST 2012

I APOLOGIZE HAVING SENT THIS YESTERDAY WITHOUT THE LINK. HERE IT IS WITH.
Claudio

  *  December blog
*

*  *Claudio Schuftan* *

This month, I look forward to a world conference being held next June, in
Rio de Janeiro. This is the ‘Rio+20’ Conference on Sustainable Development,
whose website is at http://www.uncsd2012.org/rio20/

The overarching declared purpose of Rio+20 is once again, to raise
consciousness of and arouse conscience on the environmental dimension,
which until late last century was more or less forgotten. Veterans of world
summits on any topic have reason for scepticism, but they are needed, and
we must all do our best to see that Rio+20 really does mark a time when we
all move towards living in ways that are fair and sane.

Adequate good nutrition is smack in the middle of sustainable development.
Neither is possible without the other.  The prevailing governance structure
of the globe ignores the several crises the planet is facing, as well as
the social determinants behind them. Food insecurity, preventable child and
maternal deaths, price barriers to accessing  medicines and collapsing
health systems share the fact that we do have enough resources to provide
for them, but these resources instead flow to over-consumption. Military
expenditure  and obscene wealth for a small elite.

* *

  *         NUTRITION AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT*

       WE NEED TO HEAR WHAT THE PEOPLE ARE SAYING,

                 AND ‘THE PEOPLE’ SHOULD INCLUDE US.

      THE CURRENT SYSTEM OF GOVERNANCE IS BROKEN.

* *
To read the full blog, go to

http://wp.me/plAxa-1xA

Claudio