PHM-Exch> Food for a thought beyond just believing

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sat Dec 10 01:37:50 PST 2011

Human Rights Reader 277

AS WE ALL WELL KNOW, ETHICS IS ONE OF THE ROOTS OF HUMAN RIGHTS. WHAT DO
PHILOSOPHERS HAVE HAD TO SAY?

Historically, it is actually the organized pressure from minorities and
from women on ethical grounds that have often given us the equal rights and
the non-discrimination we now take for granted.

*[I here attempt to bring-in the history of philosophy on ethics to support
the concept and practice of human rights. I do not want to philosophize
with you here, but to help you to consult your own moral inclinations by
interpreting what you read below].*

*Here is a sample of the subtitles of this Reader:
*

 *Good moral rules help us act in the most rational way possible.*

*Human Rights are about respect for living in society and about the
promotion of the public good.*

*Morality is not just obedience though; it is doing what is right.*

*We sometimes think that we are moral, just because we believe in moral
principles. But believing is not enough; action is required.*

*In human rights work, we do not speak the voice of remorse, but the voice
of outrage.*

*Knowing is creating, creating is law-giving; truth is power.*

*What is not possible is not to choose.*

*If statements of value are to be significant, it is indeed the business of
human rights to pass judgments on what is right. *

For the full Readers go to:

http://wp.me/plAxa-1xb

Claudio