PHM-Exch> Come down and out of the silo to OccupyHealthCare

access at imaxi.org access at imaxi.org
Sat Oct 29 13:34:36 PDT 2011

Greetings,

The march towards an equitable system of global health has come to an
intersection which calls us to stop and think collectively about which
way forward is the best route to take. On one side we see yellow and
red lights flashing warnings of funding cut-backs, essential medicine
stock-outs, and service scale-downs. Yet on the other side of this
crossroads we see that there is alternative path ahead. Mapped by
those who see the Right to Health as the right way to go, it now must
be widened and reinforced so that millions of people in need of
accessible healthcare can go forward as a broad based movement.

This road building requires the hands-on engagement of many of those
already involved in the 'global health community'. Patients,
caregivers, civil society organizations and health professionals need
to look ahead, and build together. Although this sounds good, the
current health systems in most countries have created clusters of
specific interest groups, which we call 'The Silos'. Divided by
disease or funding stream, such as HIV, Cancer, Diabetes or Tobacco
control, these groups see the world from their towers, and not from
ground level. Down below, those in need of healthcare are sent, often
crawling, from one silo or another. Compounding the problem, community
activists have become disease specific as well, with their energies
limited to what the funders, from their own silos, dictate. Health for
all must be more holistic, and include dealing with the social
determinants outside the silos, including poverty, education, gender,
the environment and other factors that hurt the community.

The march towards equity in health and affordable care will move
faster and more effectively if health professionals and advocates
begin to see and act beyond their current focus. The silos are out of
date structures that have stayed on the health landscape maintained by
their vested interests, often out of touch with the interests of the
community. At this historic crossroads, we all must think globally,
act locally and broadly. It is imperative that the global community
comes together to build the route forward towards health equity. Let's
OccupyHealthCare, not silos.

http://www.imaxi.org/content/come-down-and-out-silo-occupyhealthcare
Twitter Search: #OccupyHealthCare #SDOH #Right2Health #HIV/AIDS
#Cancer #Diabetes #Tuberculosis
- - - -
IMAXI Cooperative
Kannur, Kerala, India