PHM-Exch> WHO Reform (3)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Sep 19 14:25:37 PDT 2011

   From:    remco.van.de.pas at wemos.nl

Please find on the following weblog my (Remco's) report on the 61st WHO-EURO
regional committee in Baku, Azerbaijan, 12-15th of September 2011.

http://getinvolvedinglobalhealth.blogspot.com/

"The third day of the Regional Committee meeting had on its agenda the item
most relevant for the Democratizing Global Health
(DGH)<http://www.democratisingglobalhealth.org/>coalition to which
Wemos and the Medicus Mundi International Network belong:
the WHO reform for a healthy
future.<http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/150415/RC61_pres_Prog_Reform.pdf>The
DGH coalition is following the reform intensively, as we believe that
WHO needs to remain the unique mandated global authority to coordinate
international health with the aim to reach and safeguard the right to health
for all. We have concerns that some elements of the WHO reform might
actually weaken the organisation, rather than re-enforce its leadership".

During the regional committee there has been an extensive discussion on the
WHO Reform, but also on the European health 2020 Strategy including action
on the social determinants of health and  governance for health.