PHM-Exch> Food for the social determinants of a thought (2)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Sep 18 21:35:08 PDT 2011

From: kausar.skhan <kausar.skhan at aku.edu>

 This is an excellent document for focusing on health as a violation of
human rights.

I have been struggling for some  years now on how to introduce health as a
right to our undergraduate and graduate students of Aga Khan University,
Karachi. Medical education does not prepare the minds for the sort of
thinking that social sciences helps to develop.

I am a faculty in the department of community health sciences, of Aga Khan
University, and head the Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences.

I think we need to focus on institutions trying to teach the social
determinants of health in medical/health institutions.

Strengthening institutions will take forward this global task of linking
health and rights.

I offer to coordinate this initiative of teaching/research institutions for
promoting/advancing the health and rights agenda. Write to me at the address
above.

kausar

*From:* schuftan at gmail.com

Human Rights Reader 272

* *

*THE SOCIAL DETERMINANTS GAP IN THE CAUSAL CHAIN OF PREVENTABLE ILL- HEALTH
AND MORTALITY MUST BE RECAST AS VIOLATIONS OF HUMAN RIGHTS. *

* *