PHM-Exch> Final Call IFHHRO Global ToT on human rights

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Sep 7 00:06:03 PDT 2011

From: roosifhhro <r.terhorst at law.uu.nl>

**

*--- Final call ---*

*IFHHRO Global Training of Trainers:*

*Developing Human Rights Training Courses for Health Workers*

***Utrecht****, the Netherlands 21 – 25 November 2011*

*Course Content
*Due to the nature of their profession health workers inevitably play a role
in the protection and realisation of health related human rights.****

What exactly does this role mean in practice?
What do health workers need to know about human rights?
How can human rights best be explained to health workers?
What are ways to stimulate health workers to take up their role in relation
to human rights?****

These are the leading questions which will be addressed during the IFHHRO
Global Training of Trainers on Developing Human Rights Training Courses for
Health Workers.****

*Learning Objectives
*At the end of the training, participants will:
-        have a practical understanding of a rights-based approach to health
-        have insight in the different dimensions of the human rights role
of health workers
-        know how to stimulate health workers to undertake action in the
field of health and human rights
-        be able to design and adapt human rights training materials for
their own target group
-        be able to execute a structured, interactive human rights training
course for health workers
**

*Programme
*The preliminary programme is available on the IFHHRO
website<http://ifhhro.org/images/stories/ifhhro/events/preliminary_programme_tot.pdf>
****

*Training methods
*This course is based on the participatory methods developed for the IFHHRO
online training manual <http://www.ifhhro-training-manual.org/>.  This
manual shares materials specifically designed to train health workers in
health and human rights issues. The materials bridge the gap between the
legal conceptualization of the right to health and the daily practice of
health workers. An active role of the participants is expected through
sharing their own experiences and practicing training skills.****

*Who should apply?
*-        Staff of health and human rights NGOs
-        Instructors of academic and vocational training institutes in the
area of health
-        Officials working in the field of health and human rights
-        Health workers interested in health and human rights issues
-        Other persons working to involve health workers in human rights

*Practical Information
*The Training of Trainers will last five days including a free afternoon. It
will be held in **Utrecht**, the ****Netherlands**** at training centre "De
Kargadoor", from Monday 21 to Friday 25 November 2011. There will be a
maximum of 30 participants and a minimum of 10 participants. ****

**

*Certification
*Participants who successfully complete the course will receive a
certificate of participation from the International Federation of Health and
Human Rights Organisations.****

**

*Applications
*Please download the application form or request a copy at ifhhro at gmail.com.
In order to complete the registration, the filled in application form should
be submitted via email and must be accompanied by a CV. Please send your
application to ifhhro at gmail.com *not later then 26 September 2011 *

*(Early bird)*. All applications will be reviewed and applicants will be
informed about the results of the selection process before *3 October 2011*.
Fees are payable once confirmation of participation has been issued. All
fees must be paid by *21 October 2011*.****

*Fees
**Early Bird
*The early bird course fee for this intensive training course is 990 Euro
and it includes tuition costs, course materials, 5 lunches, coffee breaks,
one informal dinner and farewell drinks. The fee is payable once the
confirmation of participation has been received and must be paid by 21
October 2011. ****

IFHHRO members and observers have a 50 % discount. The fee for IFHHRO
members and observers is of 495 Euro and covers all mentioned above. There
are no scholarships available for this training course.The deadline for
early bird applications is *26 September 2011.*

*Late Applications
*Registration after the deadline is possible if space allows additional
participants and the course fee will be 1250 Euro for non members /
observers and 625 Euro for IFHHRO members and observers. The deadline for
late registration is *21 October 2011*.****

Please note that selected participants are responsible for their travel
arrangements, including visa application and fees, insurance, flight
booking, accommodation and dinner. ****

If necessary the IFHHRO secretariat can provide an official letter to apply
for funds elsewhere and administrative support for obtaining visa.
Information regarding accommodation and other practical details will be made
available to all selected participants. ****

*What participants have said about previous IFHHRO training courses**:*****

*I wish to thank you for the opportunity to participate in the TOTs global
training. It was a wonderful learning experience and I now feel well
equipped in planning, preparing and conducting trainings.  The various
interactive methods applied by the trainers were a mind opener. The
innovative techniques ranging from board games, photo-matching, case
studies, role plays, site visit revealed to me that there is more to
effective training than good old power point presentations. The
international representation of participants spiced up the discussions and
sharing of experiences and enabled me to make new contacts, thus widening
and strengthening IMLU's networks. My new skills will go a long way in
improving the quality of my training work and therefore of IMLU's training
programmes. *

Dr. Joan Nyanyuki, Independent Medico-Legal Unit (IMLU), ****Kenya********

*Lots of info on content AND methods. The course systematized a lot of
complex elements about training. Very innovative, inspiring and practical.*

Anonymous, from training evaluation****

****

*I would like to say that the ToT was an eye-opener. We already started to
use some of the techniques in our own training programme.*

Isaac **Mangulenje**, **Zimbabwe** Association of Doctors for Human Rights
(ZADHR), ****Zimbabwe****            **

*Contact Information IFHHRO Secretariat:
*Address: Janskerkhof 12, 3512 BK **Utrecht**, The ****Netherlands
Email: ifhhro at gmail.com
Tel: +31 (0)30 2536401

 __._