PHM-Exch> TARGETING AND EQUITY 'FIXING THE WORST CASES' DOES NOT AND CANNOT ADDRESS THE BASIC ISSUES'

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sat Aug 27 10:55:55 PDT 2011

August blog Claudio Schuftan

My column this month comes in two parts linked by one word. This is 'target'
in two of its meanings. These are 'targetry' and also 'setting targets'. The
concepts that I want to get across to you are self-evident as you read
along.

In the name of greater equity, many currently proposed approaches to resolve
the problems of health and nutrition still very often favour and select
actions covering, for the most part, strategies that target services to the
disadvantaged and malnourished, such as the measurements of weight and
height of little children.  This strategic approach, it is purported,
represents a move towards equity. But does it really? Many of us rather
think that what is needed is to mobilise a strong popular movement that
demands a comprehensive, truly equity-oriented health and nutrition policy.

The full blog can be found at

http://wp.me/plAxa-1sQ

Claudio