PHM-Exch> Corporate-based foundations and public health agenda

José Utrera Jose.Utrera at cordaid.nl
Tue Aug 9 02:22:41 PDT 2011

Philanthropic Foundations and the Public Health Agenda<http://www.corporationsandhealth.org/news/202/62/Philanthropic-Foundations-and-the-Public-Health-Agenda/d,Article>
By Bill Wiist, CHW Contributing Writer
http://www.corporationsandhealth.org/news/202/62/Philanthropic-Foundations-and-the-Public-Health-Agenda/d,Article

In 2009, there were 2,733 corporate foundations with assets of more than $10 billion and an annual donation of $2.5 billion. In that year foundations made grants of more than $38 billion of which $15.41 billion was from family foundations. In 2009, the 50 largest contributors to health donated more than $3 billion through almost 5,000 grants. The extent of corporate-based foundation funding in public health raises two critical questions for public health policy, research, and programming. First, should corporate-based foundations be setting the public health research and program agenda? Second, is the corporate business model appropriate for guiding foundation public health grants and programs?

In this commentary, I seek to answer these questions to focus our attention on fundamental philosophicaland ethical issues about the causes of disease and injury and the approaches we take to addressing the root, social determinants of health.

Bill Wiist
Professor, Health Sciences
Sr. Scientist, Interdisciplinary Health Policy Institute
Northern Arizona University

José L. Utrera

[cid:cordaid.jpg]

Cordaid en haar partners zetten zich samen in voor meer sociale rechtvaardigheid. Meer weten? Ga naar www.cordaid.nl<http://www.cordaid.nl>

Cordaid and her partners are jointly working for social justice. Find out more at www.cordaid.nl<http://www.cordaid.nl>

Disclaimer
This message is intended exclusively for the addressee. It may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message.
No rights can be derived from this message. Views or opinions presented in this email do not necessarily represent those of Cordaid.
Cordaid accepts no liability for damage of any kind resulting from the risks inherent to the electronic transmission of messages,
nor is Cordaid responsible for the proper and complete transmission of the information or any delay in its receipt.