PHM-Exch> The Millennium Development Goals and the Scaling Up Nutrition Initiative (SUN)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Aug 8 12:34:22 PDT 2011

Investing in nutrition is as much an issue of health, of care, and of food
sovereignty, as it is of human rights, of economic welfare, and of social
protection. Nutrition must be central to all renewed commitments and efforts
to successfully realise the Millennium Development Goals.

Acute or chronic states of undernutrition are the direct outcome of an
insufficient intake of food and nutrients, of losses of nutrients due to
infection or of increased nutritional requirements as it occurs during
infancy, early childhood, adolescence and during pregnancy and lactation. To
address all these factors, investments have to be directed to the immediate,
underlying and basic causes of preventable disease, malnutrition and deaths.

I invite you to read my full July blog at

http://wp.me/plAxa-1rs

Claudio