PHM-Exch> Arrest and detention of Dr Jeyakumar Devaraj in Malaysia PHM solidarity

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Jul 20 14:17:40 PDT 2011

To:         Prime Minister: YAB Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak

Home Minister: YB Dato’ Seri Hishammuddin Tun HusseinMenteri Kementerian
Dalam Negeri

IGP: Tan Sri Ismail Omar, Ketua Polis Negara

 20th July 2011
Dear Honourable Ministers

*Arrest and detention of Dr Jeyakumar Devaraj*

The People’s Health Movement, a global network bringing together grassroots
activists, civil society organisations, academics and health workers from
around the world, strongly condemns the arrest and detention of Dr Jeyakumar
Devaraj and 5 others under the Emergency Ordinance. We have heard that due
to ill health, Dr Kumar has been moved to hospital.

Dr Kumar who has been involved with People’s Health Movement since our
inception, is well respected for his contributions to public health and
social justice. Since completing medical school, Dr Kumar has spent
significant time working in some of the most remote rural areas, working
tirelessly to bring services to the poor and marginalised and to address the
structural and social determinants of health. He has also worked on a number
of national initiatives to improve equitable access of health services to
the poor.

Given Dr Kumar’s standing in the community and his professionalism and
commitment in serving and bringing health services to all people of
Malaysia, we feel it imperative that the authorities expedite his release,
together with the other 5 people who remain in detention. Furthermore, as co
health-workers, we are deeply concerned about further adverse effect the
arrest and detention will have on Dr Kumar’s health.

Yours sincerely

Bridget Lloyd

On behalf of the People’s Health Movement Steering Council

Facsimile to:

1. YAB Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak,  Prime Minister, Malaysia -  Fax : +60 3
88883444 -* *

2. YB Dato’ Seri Hishammuddin Tun HusseinMenteri Kementerian Dalam Negeri -
(Home Minister)

    Fax:+60 3-88891613/ +60 3-88891610

3. Tan Sri Ismail Omar, Ketua Polis Negara -(IGP) - Fax:+60 3 22725613