PHM-Exch> Health Exchange: Responding to Emergencies (2)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sat Jul 9 13:50:25 PDT 2011

From: Mohammad Ali Barzgar <barzgar89 at yahoo.com>

It seems to me that not only responses to Emergency situations could be
handled by Health Auxiliary Personnel; they are the backbone of a health
services system based on PHC and for continued care too.  For example, in
 Iran we initiated PHC in 1971; at the beginning our team had 9 physician,
but 8 of them left the program before six months.The program succeeded due
to the dedication of Nurses, Nurses aids ,Sanitarians, Technicians and, last
but not least, the community health workers called BEHVARZ. As a result, 75
million people are receiving comprehensive primary health care all over the
country with a surface area of 1.6 million Square Kilometres by 26,000
BEHVARZ supervised and supported by their supervisors and the other levels
of health services system based on PHC.

Also the same experience and observation was repeated in Somalia (southern
Part), in Lower-Shebelli and extended  to Baidoa Region during 1987-1989.
But unfortunately the bloody war in1990 stopped it for further extension and
continuation.

Also similar experience in Pakistan with the training of 64,000 community
health workers from 1992 to 2000 brought down the Infant Mortality Rate from
above 100/1000 live births to around 30. As I mentioned they are the
backbone of health services system and a guarantee for achieving Health For
All(HFA) via Comprehensive Primary Health Care.