PHM-Exch> MICRONUTRIENT DEFICIENCIES AND PROTEIN-ENERGY MALNUTRITION

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Tue Jun 7 15:44:56 PDT 2011

ARE WE KEEPING THE UNACCEPTABLE CAUSES OF BOTH MICRO AND MACRONUTRIENT
DEFICIENCIES IN THE PROPER PERSPECTIVE?

Many in our profession have pursued micronutrient interventions in their
work --in some cases with evident remarkable success-- and can take some
pride in their accomplishments. Nothing in this column should suggest a
reduction in efforts directed toward micronutrient malnutrition. But, at the
same time, it is clear that we have neglected the overriding problems of
inadequate caloric intake, inadequate care and inadequate health care and
its determinants, which are continuing to take such an enormous toll on
vulnerable populations.

For the full blog, go to:

http://wp.me/plAxa-1oI

Claudio