PHM-Exch> Food for a tipping point thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Thu May 26 09:40:25 PDT 2011

Human Rights Reader 263

*HUMAN RIGHTS ARE NOT A TOOL THAT ACCEPTS POVERTY; HUMAN RIGHTS ARE A WAY TO
FIGHT IT.* (Julius Nyerere)

-If the rich could hire others to die for them, we, the poor, would make a
nice living.

What is generously distributed in the world is poverty. But poverty is not
genetic. Poverty is the result of disempowerment and exclusion. Poverty
humiliates. Poverty itself most often is a result of the violation of human
rights (HR). Actually, HR violations occur both as a cause and as a
consequence of poverty. Poverty, in its political dimension, shows the
inequality in the enjoyment of HR among members of our societies.

Regrettably, poverty is progressing faster than the laborious international
climate negotiations. We cannot eradicate poverty by decree. Putting
band-aids on the problem of poverty has become an industry for the
rich. Chicken
and miserly handouts have not reduced and will not reduce poverty. The end
of extreme poverty will only come when masses of individual citizens around
the world demand an end to the human rights violations that come with
extreme poverty and things reach a de-facto tipping point.

To read the full Reader, go to

http://www.socialmedicine.org/?p=5284

Claudio