PHM-Exch> PHM Addresses the 64th WHA on WHO Future Financing

PHM Global Secretariat globalsecretariat at phmovement.org
Wed May 18 02:11:46 PDT 2011

*Statement to the 64th session of the World Health Assembly of WHO, on
agenda item 11 The future of Financing for WHO *

*Read by Chiara Bodini - PHM Italy and WHO-Watch - 18 May 2011
*

Thank you, Chair, for the opportunity to address the World Health Assembly
on behalf of the CMC  Churches Action for Health and the People's Health
Movement, a global network of organizations and individuals working in more
than 80 countries for 'health for all'.

We are committed to a strong World Health Organisation, adequately funded,
fully utilising the powers of the Constitution and playing the leading role
in global health governance. However, the current crisis could compromise
WHO's capacity to play this role.

The report is short on detail. The detailed reform program was only
available  on the website late last week, and this also lacks specifics on
the reforms. We are concerned  that the scope of operations of the
Secretariat could be reduced with 'mainstreaming' of some important
functions and that  private foundations and corporates will have new
opportunities to influence the WHO agenda through the proposed World Health
Forum.  While we support innovative mechanisms and consultations and public
hearing sessions with public interest groups, we believe that the task of
setting WHO's agenda and  the decision making process  should always remain
with the member states.

The role of WHO should not be restricted to a technocratic one distanced
from policy issues that have profound implications on the realization
of  economic
development, equity, justice and peace. These are critical determinants of
health and are wholly encompassed in the WHO Constitution.

To fulfil its mandate the WHO needs a budget that is adequate, predictable
and untied. The growing imbalance between assessed and voluntary
contributions undermines the organisation's independence. We propose that
member states collectively commit to increasing assessed funding so that it
reaches 50% of the overall budget over the next five years. This would help
WHO to be more independent of private philanthropies and the corporate
sector and thus better serve its member states and people and implement the
priorities decided by the assembly.

Please visit the WHO Watch <http://www.ghwatch.org/who-watch> for more
information

--