PHM-Exch> Social Medicine Course in Northern Uganda

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Thu Apr 14 22:19:48 PDT 2011

From: Social Medicine <social.medicine at yahoo.com>

We invite you to apply for the third annual Beyond the Biological Basis of
Disease: The Social and Economic Causation of Illness, an on-site immersion
course in social medicine offered at Lacor Hospital in Gulu, Uganda from
January 9, 2012 through February 3, 2012.  This intensive course designed
for 15 international medical students (clinical years) and 15 Ugandan
medical students (3rd-5th year) from Gulu University intersects the study of
clinical medicine in a resource-poor setting with social medicine topics
such as the social determinants of health, globalization, war, human rights,
community-based health care, and narrative medicine.  This
highly-interactive course is taught through a combination of lectures, small
and large group discussions, films, community field visits, ward rounds, and
clinical case discussions. Credit for away-rotations can be arranged.

For more information, we invite you to please see our website at:
https://sites.google.com/site/socialmeduganda/. In addition, short videos of
our previous courses can be viewed by clicking the desired year: 2010:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLHGpY4EDwg&feature=related and 2011:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2UCUFcXAas.

If you have any questions or are interested in applying, please email us at
social.medicine at yahoo.com<http://us.mc567.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=social.medicine@yahoo.com>.
Applications are due July 31, 2011.

Sincerely,

Michael Westerhaus, MD, MA