PHM-Exch> International Primary Health Care Conference (3)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Apr 13 22:46:23 PDT 2011

From: "Connie Gates" <connie at jamkhed.org>

I am worried when I read the term "community-oriented" is used, and I
understand that to be more of a project-based approach of working in/with
communities.
When I first learned about community health centers in the US in the late
1970s, I was impressed that they existed here!  But when I recently learned
about the history, I was even more impressed, but also more disappointed
that they have such a rich legacy but haven't been able to follow.
I was the director of a migrant health center, similar but perhaps even
'better' than CHC, for 7 years in the early 1980s and found a framework that
could be utilized to promote health and community, though within the migrant
farmworker population this was difficult!  And then the government got more
medicalized . . .

I hope (and assume!) that Canada does better!