PHM-Exch> Fwd: Support Egypt and the rights of people with mental health problems

Caroline Kim caroline.d.kim at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 12:43:45 PDT 2011

Dear all:

I have received the following email by Dr. Moody Zaky, a psychiatrist who
works in Egypt for the rights of people with mental health problems.

People with  mental health issues are subject to stigma and discriminatory
treatment all over the world and suffer from a disproportionate deprivation
of rights.  These rights include items such as: the fundamental right to be
free from arbitrary detention, the right to informed consent to treatment,
the right to health services, and the right to humane treatment (including
the ability to make have a voice regarding care and treatment).

It seems that some are taking advantage of the recent changes in Egypt to
"roll back" these rights.

Rather than put words in Dr. Zaky's mouth, I encourage you to please read
his email, below, and provide whatever support you can.

(The attached letter by the EIPR is written in Arabic without translation;
however, there is an English website at www.eipr.org/en)

In solidarity,

Caroline Kim