PHM-Exch> Initiatives of the private sector: Addressing Systemic Challenges to Social Inclusion in Health Care

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Thu Mar 10 20:46:30 PST 2011

WHAT IS IS THIS?  WHO IS AS?
 CLAUDIO

*Addressing Systemic Challenges to Social Inclusion in Health Care
Initiatives of the Private Sector

*

Jason Marczak, Nina Agrawal, Gustavo Nigenda, José Arturo Ruiz, Ligia de
Charry
*Americas** Society (AS) - March 7, 2011

*

Available online PDF [32p.] at: http://bit.ly/i12jiJ

*…….Latin America remains the most unequal region in the world, presenting
significant challenges to overall regional development. A number of groups—
among them the urban and rural poor (33.1 percent of the population),
indigenous populations, Afro-Latinos, and women—continue to lack access to
critical pillars of development, including quality health care services….

*

“…..This report presents the findings and conclusions of Americas Society’s
(AS) Ford Foundation-funded research on health care carried out under the AS
Social Inclusion Program.

The goal of this paper is to draw attention to a sample of new practices
that increase access to quality health care for marginalized populations and
spur businesses, governments and nonprofit organizations to commit more to
address this issue.

The focus is on Colombia and Mexico, where ongoing national efforts have
significantly increased health care access for those traditionally left out
of the health care system. By the end of 2010, Seguro Popular had reached 42
million of Mexico’s 50 million previously uninsured, and by 2011, the
subsidized regime of Colombia’s Ley 100 was providing health insurance to 11
million people who otherwise would have had no such insurance.

Through in-country research and a roundtable meeting, Americas Society,
leveraging its relationship with sister organization Council of the Americas
(COA), looked at select cases in which the private sector is expanding
access to care in each country. This report does not evaluate individual
programs but rather presents a variety of health care initiatives that all
have the same goal: providing care for those that otherwise would not have
access to it. It is essential that we consider these cases and the lessons
learned in the larger regional context.

Recommendations include:

•Greater utilization of information and communications technology, through
eHealth and mHealth initiatives, can expand access to quality care, reduce
inefficiencies and cut costs.

•A regional clearinghouse of for-profit models that serve marginalized
populations can be an effective strategy for consolidating efforts.

•Regular dialogue between health ministries or local departments and the
private sector is necessary to harmonize health care delivery efforts….”

From: Matt Anderson <bronxdoc at gmail.com>

Americas Society: As Little Red Riding Hood said: "My grandma, what big
teeth you have!"  The Americas Society is a public forum set up by the
Council of the Americas (COA).  And what is COA?

*"Council of the Americas (COA) *is the premier international business
organization whose members share a common commitment  to economic and social
development, open markets, the rule of law, and democracy throughout the
Western Hemisphere. The Council's membership consists of leading
international companies representing a broad spectrum of sectors, including
banking and finance, consulting services, consumer products, energy and
mining, manufacturing, media, technology, and transportation."

http://coa.counciloftheamericas.org/page.php?k=about

So COA is a *business group*, not even an academic group; although
increasingly in the US the distinction between business and academics is,
well, academic.  And this is who the Ford Foundation turned to in order to
examine questions of social inclusion.  (Shame on Ford Foundation).

I would love to see the results of the following recommendation: *"•A
regional clearinghouse of for-profit models that serve marginalized
populations can be an effective strategy for consolidating efforts." *

Mon dieu, they will probably get Nestle to talk about its wonderful efforts
to distribute formula to the poor women of the world!  Or maybe the
pharmaceutical companies can discuss how enforcement of patents has resulted
in increased access to medicines in countries like Haiti and Guatemala.  Who
knew the "for profits" were helping the world's marginalized!

What did the Queen say when told the people lacked bread? "Well, let them
eat cake!"

From: Mauricio Torres <maot99 at yahoo.es>