PHM-Exch> [ESCR-Right-to-Health] Protection of Health Functions in armed conflict - WHA side event May 2011

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Mar 4 23:48:31 PST 2011

From: Katherine Footer <kfooter1 at gmail.com>

The Johns Hopkins School of Public Health in the Centre for Public Health
and Human Rights is presently working on a project concerned with the
protection of health workers and functions in armed conflict.

We believe the World Health Organization could play a key role in addressing
the lack of systematic reporting and documentation of assaults on health
functions, as well as providing policy guidance to member states. This could
be done through the development of sound methods of data collection on
attacks on medical functions, health workers and patients, as well as
assuring compilation and distribution of that information.

We are planning to hold a side event at this year's WHA; the US Gov through
Nils Daulaire Office of Global Health Affairs is co-sponsoring the event
along with the World Medical Association, IntraHealth International and
Merlin.We hope to use it as an awareness raising event and an ideal platform
for beginning broader consultation with WHO member states and staff with the
aim of a WHA Resolution on the subject in 2012.

The event represents an important opportunity for the engagement of NGOs,
nursing and medical associations, and broader civil society.

We will be posting updates on this initiative to keep you informed.