PHM-Exch> what is the National Endowment for Democracy?

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Feb 23 21:48:42 PST 2011

A week or so ago, phm-exchange posted an"opportunity" for funding from the
NED

See what PHM  has unearthed:
The NED was devised to eliminate the stigma associated with CIA covert
activities in the wake of Watergate and the Church Committee. According to
William Blum it was a masterpiece 'of politics, of public relations, and of
cynicism;' in effect, enabling the CIA to launder money through the NED. 'We
should not have to do this kind of work covertly,' said Carl Gershman in
1986, while he was president of the NED. 'It would be terrible for
democratic groups around the world to be seen as subsidized by the CIA. We
saw that in the 60's, and that's why it has been discontinued. We have not
had the capability of doing this, and that's why the endowment was created.'

So, we would say, it's not the kind of Endowment PHM would want PHM circles
to get involved with.

For more on NED go to the website http://www.iefd.org/articles/ned.php

I apologize for this.
 Claudio