PHM-Exch> Murder of David Kato in Uganda

Laura Turiano phm at turiano.org
Thu Jan 27 11:49:34 PST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Asia Russell <asia at healthgap.org>
Date: Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 6:01 AM
Subject: [HEALTHGAP] Request: Remembrances of David Kato
To: Asia Russell <asia at healthgap.org>

Dear all

The funeral of David Kato, the gay human rights defender who was brutally
killed January 26 in his home in Uganda, will be tomorrow, Friday June 28.

For more information see: the statement of Sexual Minorities Uganda (SMUG),
demanding an impartial investigation and an end to demonization of sexual
minorities by religious leaders, political leaders and the media:
http://www.sexualminoritiesuganda.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=arti
cle&id=67:press-release-brutal-killing-of-ugandan-gay-human-rights-defender&
catid=1:latest-newsand
the Human Rights Watch statement:
http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2011/01/27/uganda-promptly-investigate-killing-pr
ominent-lgbt-activist

David had supporters, comrades, friends, and fellow human rights defenders
in Uganda and around the world. Many will not be at his funeral tomorrow.

SMUG has requested that people send any statement of remembrance and
solidarity to: justicefordavidkato at gmail.com and those statements will be
received by the community of LGBTI activists in Uganda.

Best

Asia Russell

--
Asia Russell
Health GAP (Global Access Project)
email: asia at healthgap.org
tel: +256 776 574 729 (Uganda)
+256 703 574 729 (Uganda)
+1 267 475 2645 (US)
http://www.healthgap.org

PRESS RELEASE

From: Frank Mugisha <frankmugisha at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Press Release by Sexual Minorities Uganda (SMUG)
For Immediate Release: Wednesday, 26 January 2011
Brutal Murder of Gay Ugandan Human Rights Defender, David Kato

Sexual Minorities Uganda (SMUG) and the entire Ugandan Lesbian, Gay,
Bisexual, Transgender, and Intersex Community stands together to condemn the
killing of David Kato and call for the Ugandan Government, Civil Society,
and Local Communities to protect sexual minorities across Uganda.

David was brutally beaten to death in his home today, 26 January 2011,
around 2pm. Across the entire country, straight, lesbian, gay, bisexual,
transgender, and intersex Ugandans mourn the loss of David, a dear friend,
colleague, teacher, family member, and human rights defender.

David has been receiving death threats since his face was put on the front
page of Rolling Stone Magazine, which called for his death and the death of
all homosexuals. David's death comes directly after the Supreme Court of
Uganda ruled that people must stop inciting violence against homosexuals and
must respect the right to privacy and human dignity.

Sexual Minorities Uganda and the Ugandan Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual,
Transgender, and Intersex Community call on the Police and the Government of
Uganda to seriously investigate the circumstances surrounding David's death.
We also call on religious leaders, political leaders and media houses to
stop demonizing sexual minorities in Uganda since doing so creates a climate
of violence against gay persons. Val Kalende, the Chair of the Board at
Freedom and Roam Uganda stated that "David's death is a result of the hatred
planted in Uganda by U.S Evangelicals in 2009. The Ugandan Government and
the so-called U.S Evangelicals must take responsibility for David's blood!"

As United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon recently declared, "I
understand that sexual orientation and gender identity raise sensitive
cultural issues. But cultural practices cannot justify any violation of
human rights. . . . When our fellow humans are persecuted because of their
sexual orientation or gender identity, we must speak out. . . . States bear
the primary responsibility to protect human rights advocates. I call on all
States to ensure the freedom of expression and the freedom of assembly that
make their work possible. When the lives of human rights advocates are
endangered, we are all less secure. When the voices of human rights
advocates are silenced, justice itself is drowned out."

David's life was cut short in a brutal manner. David will be deeply missed
by his family and friends, his students, and Human Rights organizations
throughout Uganda and around the world. Speaking about what the death of
David means in the struggle for equality, Frank Mugisha, the Executive
Director of Sexual Minorities Uganda said, "No form of intimidation will
stop our cause. The death of David will only be honored when the struggle
for justice and equality is won. David is gone and many of us will follow,
but the struggle will be won. David wanted to see a Uganda where all people
will be treated equally despite their sexual orientation."

Burial arrangements are underway for Friday 28, 2011 at 2PM at his ancestral
home in Namataba, Mukono District.

Press contacts:
Frank Mugisha: +1 646 436 1858
Email. fmugisha at sexualminoritiesuganda.org