PHM-Exch> Noncommunicable diseases: Let us get involved!

Alan LEATHER alan.leather at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 11:57:32 PST 2010

Dear All,

While supporting the efforts of the NCD Alliance to push for an
action-orientated outcome to the UN Summit, the Geneva-based NGO Forum for
Health, through its Working Group on Mental Health and Psychosocial Support,
is very concerned that mental health is not included on the agenda of the
forthcoming Summit. This is despite the fact that the four most prominent
NCDs and related risk factors all have a mental health component.

Mental health as an NCD receives the least amount of recognition and
funding. It has a direct impact upon the most vulnerable in society, whose
rights are constantly overlooked or denied. Care and support should be
available through primary health care as stated in the recent WHO and World
Organisation for Family Doctors report,* Integrating mental health into
primary health care: a global perspective.

*Health workers involved in the care and support of the mentally ill know
full well what it means to them and their patients to have a global summit
recognise their concerns. Their work burden grows unremittingly, leaving
many stressed and burnt out.
*
*As stated in the Medicus Mundi announcement, the forthcoming WHO EB is an
important opportunity to give support to the NCD Summit. We would urge those
involved to lobby hard for mental health to be included on the Summit agenda
otherwise a vital aspect of health for all will once again be lost.

In solidarity

Alan Leather