PHM-Exch> Food for a thought to ponder

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Oct 31 18:20:16 PDT 2010

Human Rights Reader 250

* *

*WHY HUMAN RIGHTS WORK IS TO BE SEEN IN THE REALM OF POLITICAL ACTION*.

-Political action and activism are badly undervalued in our community of
professionals and intellectuals. It would seem that in it, pretending is
more important than being.

In a mood of ‘active pessimism’, our peers too often go for the status-quo
and procrastinate; the best known way to do that is to get involved in what
has been called ‘paralysis in analysis’.

Our political leaders are more surrounded by publicists and image makers
than by development thinkers. As a result, in an effort to manipulate rather
than to solve, they too often try to dress their lies or half truths with
the robes of the full truth.  *
*: If only this lying from our self-serving politicians would cause no harm
to human rights…

For the full Reader, go to

http://wp.me/plAxa-1eF

Claudio