PHM-Exch> When bored during presentation in professional congresses

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sat Oct 30 00:59:24 PDT 2010

In his November column in www.wphna.org , Geofrey Cannon writes:

In the midst of reflecting on the presentations we were exposed to, my
friend asked if we were familiar with Bullshit
Bingo<http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1020&bih=546&q=bullshit+bingo&rlz=1R2GGLL_en&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=2b9a17d7b1de03ed>.
No, we were not. So he explained. It’s a way to keep awake and amused during
any technical presentation. As in bingo, players are issued with cards,
printed not with 25 different numbers, but five rows each of five phrases
(or acronyms) liable to be used in the presentation. Mixed metaphors are
also included. As in bingo, the phrases are different on each card. The
presentation starts, players are eyes down and then up to check the screen
and the speaker, and the first player to complete a line calls out:
bullshit! This is definitely one for a future nutrition congress.

After supper with my friend, I started to read food and nutrition policy
documents through new eyes. Imagine a PowerPoint presentation on *scaling up
nutrition*, and its bullet-pointed phrases likely also to appear on the
Bullshit Bingo cards. With apologies to recent documents ricocheting around
the e-circuit…

Use of *evidence-based methodology* to show that *interlinking existing
mechanisms* to shape the road-map towards *private-public-people
partnerships* involving *multi-stakeholder fora* and*concrete transparent
dialogue* represents *value-added* and *win-win situations* and, in the
present*credit-crunch* are *low-hanging fruit* for *sector-based platforms*
 to *scale up nutrition*, towards*deliverables* for *sustainable food and
nutrition security for all*. There is need for *high-level expert panels* that
ensure *science-industry interfacing* and that *harness upstream drivers*
 and *grass roots educational efforts*. Also *interagency interchange*
 between *SUN, CEB, ECOSOC, WFP, IAEA, EIEIO, REACH, GAIN, SC*,
necessitates *lean and agile structures* as part of the*high-level world
nutrition architecture* …