PHM-Exch> Call for candidacies - Oct 6 deadline - Patients for Patient Safety AFRO Workshop: Uganda Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, and Zambia.

Claudio Schuftan schuftan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 00:53:26 PDT 2010

From: Garance UPHAM <fannie.upham at gmail.com>

The WHO Patient Safety program has put out a call (see below and attached)
for candidacies to collaborate on the Patients for Patient Safety AFRO
group, from a selected number of English speaking African countries - the
group of selected participants will meet in Uganda in Dec 2010 (a French
countries workshop will be held later in 2011).

It is particularly important that PHM advocates join in. I am especially
thinking of people who participated in the Kenyan People's Health University
for example.

The AFRO region is holding this event with a few years delay after the other
regions. If we understand Patient Safety as a fundamental aspect of our
fight for the Right to Health, then it is clear that having people who are
advocates of Right to Health, Right to Access to Care and Patient Safety,
will be important for us all, in our combat for Health for all.

*Patients for Patient Safety Anglophone AFRO Workshop*

I am writing to you on behalf of the WHO Regional Office for Africa, to
inform you of a forthcoming "Patients for Patient Safety" workshop which
will be held 8-10 December 2010 in Kampala, Uganda. We are now seeking
applications to attend this workshop from interested patients and consumers
from *Ethiopia**, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Uganda and Zambia.  *

To help us find candidates from the above countries, we would greatly
appreciate your help in distributing the attached application package to
patient groups and to potentially interested individuals in these countries
to apply. The application package includes:

   - *Call for Applications* which provides some background information and
   the objectives of the workshop
   - *Application Guidelines and Form* with supporting information and
   instructions (including the 'London Declaration' which outlines the vision
   and values on which this event is based).

We are seeking applications from individuals who have experienced
preventable harm in the health care system, either through their own
experience or of a person close to them, and who have demonstrated a
commitment to work with their communities, health care professionals and
policy makers, to make health care safer in their country.  The selected
individuals’ cost of participation will be covered by WHO. Further
information is attached.

Any help you are able to offer in sharing this information with interested
parties would be very much appreciated.  If you have any questions about the
event please don't hesitate to contact me. Please note the deadline for
applications is *6 October 2010.*

Get the call for applications and application pack from

Anna Lee

Project Officer

Patients for Patient Safety

WHO Patient Safety